Monday 27 February 2012

A little excitable

Fairly busy couple of days - and lovely weather yesterday so we are full of the joys of spring.  The alpacas are very grumpy and fighting over food, hay, water, the best place to sleep - looks like a fair few are well and truly pregnant!  Brilliant!  Lambs are due first - 5 weeks to go for them.  I am trying desperately not to think about the cria due or I will start wishing my life away again.  It is impossible, though, for me not to start crawling around checking for udders and swollen back ends - just can't stop myself!
Zara is one of the first due and I am really hoping she is as I would love a black cria.

Crispie is due in June which seems ages away but I am sure time will fly!
I seem to be using a lot of exclamation marks tonight but that is because I am a little hopeful about a visit we are making tonight.  Fingers crossed we may have news sometime soon!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like there are lots of exciting things going on down there. Looking forward to the next instalment.

    We too have lambs first, the first due at the end of next month(ish)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to be impossible not to wish your life away when you have pregnant alpacas...same goes for crawling around looking at udders, we will all be at it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our new neighbours had their first lambs this week and yesterday morning saw me mixing glucose, making bottles and drying off a very cold little lad with the hairdryer! Amazed to see the little chap still here this morning as his temperature didn't register on the thermometer! I've never worked with sheep before but I just imagined the little fella was a cria and went into care mode!!

    ReplyDelete