Thursday 25 September 2014

A request for advise

Really struggling a bit here with little Rascal and wondering if anyone can offer any advise.  Rascal is Trouble's baby - just over a year old now and Bert's grand daughter.  Bert came to us with dreadful skin - leathery and split - past damage from mites.  Rascal seems to be going the same way.  I think there is something genetic about it all.  Her mother, Trouble, does not have real problems but her eyelids do sometimes get puffy and look like they are going to go a bit bald so I catch them quickly with cream and a delicate bit of frontline on my finger and so far we have been okay but Rascal is another matter.  Her ears are now bald and have sore spots, her eye lids are a bit swollen and she has scabby bits round them and the skin on the front of her back legs and tops of front legs are cracking.  I have used camrosa, cydectin on a weekly regime, frontline, udder cream, udder cream with sulphur added, a zinc and selinium drench, vitamin injection, a shampoo called sebu something --- not all at the same time!  I even resorted to a bit of that louse powder you use on chickens on her back legs.  Nothing is working.  I have had the vet to look at her and he has said to continue with the frontline and cydectin which is what I am doing at the moment.  Tonight I also gave her some antibiotics as a friend has mentioned their vet talking about it.  I am so afraid she is going to end up like Bert and she is the sweetest little thing.

My field vehicle situation has reached critical stage.  The Mule has given up and I am back to the Fiesta which is ridiculous.  No wonder no one takes me seriously when I am driving round fields in an ancient powder blue fiesta with bales of hay and containers of water in the back.  To make matters worse there is a constant sound of waterfalls whilst driving which is very off putting and I have now reached the stage where all this running water causes a desperate need for the ladies.  And when you turn off the ignition the engine keeps going for at least a minute - how does that happen?

On the plus side I have got a lot of knitting done  and my highly complicate christening shawl/Ladies shawl is nearly finished.  The only problem with the shawl is that it is going to work out so expensive I don't think anyone will ever buy it!  Ah well, it was a challenge and I am proud to have completed it. 

Tomorrow I have to make it to Weymouth in the afternoon as it is already Friday and I said I would get there this week - I don't know where the days go!

6 comments:

  1. Have you tried echinacea? You'd need rather a lot, but apparently, it's what's on the inside that affects the outside.
    Also, rosehips are supposed to be good for the skin, there's plenty around this year.
    Well done for completing the shawl, it sounds beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some alpacas are genetically prone to skin issues.

    We have one girl, Imala, who is very prone to mites and sores, Paul calls her the early warning mite detector. White pig oil has been the best thing for her, like you I've tried everything ever mentioned but the best thing (after the initial cydectin which is what seems to be best for her) is a nice oil massage. depending on her skin depends on the frequency anything from daily for a week to once a month even if everything looks good! She has never looked so good.

    Good luck, with that and the fiesta!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have tried everything too with Hoity Toity who is the same (luckily none of her off spring have problems) we are back to giving her straight zinc (more than in the drenches) and it is improving again. The problem is it come back when we stop. Presently on Severn Seas black currant zinc tablets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara will get some to try tomorrow!

      Delete